2017 Inauguration Transportation Plan
Today, the 2017 Presidential Inaugural Subcommittees announced the Joint Transportation Plan for the 58th Presidential Inauguration. Events and activities celebrating the Inauguration, a designated National Special Security Event, will take place from Thursday, January 19 to Saturday, January 21, 2017.
This Transportation Plan provides the general outlines for vehicular restricted zones, road closures, charter vehicles, public transportation and pedestrian routes. Additional information is available online for residents of the District of Columbia, Virginia and Maryland, as well as for charter operators, through the websites listed at the end of this plan. Additions to this plan may be made prior to the Inaugural and will be updated accordingly. Specific questions regarding this transportation plan should be directed to the participating agencies as identified.
Security and transportation plans for the 2017 Inauguration were developed by a partnership of local, state and federal law enforcement and public safety agencies, including the District Department of Transportation (DDOT), the District of Columbia Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, the Virginia State Police, the Maryland Department of Transportation, the United States Secret Service, the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), the United States Capitol Police and the United States Park Police.
Road closures on Capitol Hill will be instituted by the U.S. Capitol Police in cooperation with the Metropolitan Police Department. Vehicle traffic restricted to authorized vehicles only with proper vehicle placard. No public parking will be available.
The following street closures will go into effect starting at 5:00 pm on Thursday, January 19 (in addition to roads regularly restricted on Capitol Grounds):
- Washington Ave SW from C St. SW to Independence Ave SW (Northbound Only)
- East Capitol St. from First St to Second St.
In addition to the earlier closures, the following street closures will go into effect starting at 11:00 pm on Thursday, January 19 (in addition to roads regularly restricted on Capitol Grounds):
- Louisiana Ave NE between Columbus Circle and Constitution Ave NW
- Delaware Ave NE between Columbus Circle and D St. NE
- 1st St. between Columbus Circle and D St. SE
- North Capitol St. between E St. NW and D St. NE
- New Jersey Ave NW between D St. NW and Constitution Ave NW
- D St. between New Jersey Ave NW and 2nd St. NE
- 1st St. between D St. NW and Washington Ave SW
- C St. NW between 2nd St. NW and Second St.NE
- 2nd St. NW between C St. NW and Constitution Ave NW
- 2nd St. NE between Massachusetts Ave NE and C St. SE
- C St. SE between 2nd St. SE and 4th St. SW
- D St. between 1st St. SE and 4th St. SW
- Washington Ave SW between South Capitol St. and Independence Ave SW
- Independence Ave between 3rd St. SE and 4th St. SW
- 3rd St. between E St. SW and D St. NW
- Constitution Ave between 2nd St. NE and 3rd St. NW
- Maryland Ave NE between 1st St. NE and Constitution Ave, NE
- 2nd St. SW between Washington Ave SW and E St. SW
- South Capitol St. between E St. SW and D St. SW
- I-295 South on-ramp from Washington Ave SW
- I-395 North off-ramp onto Washington Ave SW
- I-395 North off-ramp onto C St. NW
- I-395 South on-ramp from 2nd St. SW
- I-395 South off-ramp onto 2nd St. SW
- I-395 North on-ramp from Washington Ave SW
- I-295 North off-ramp onto Washington Ave SW
Streets will reopen upon the parade’s conclusion at approximately 5 pm.